Wednesday, August 30, 2017
Welcome!
Welcome! I'm Mrs. Shannon, the Library Media Specialist. I had been teaching middle school for the past seven years in Unity, and I'm excited to share my passion for reading, writing and technology with my new students at Veazie Community School! I'll also be teaching grade 6 math this year.
While the Library Media Center's main focus will be to support the school curriculum and develop literacy skills, we'll also be focusing on DIGITAL literacy and citizenship. We will create, communication, collaborate and think critically to explore and innovate together. At each grade level, students will be learning research and computer skills specifically suited to their developmental needs and interests. We'll learn about how to create and balance a healthy relationship with media using curriculum through Common Sense Media.
Students in grade K-5 will also be using an online typing tutor to learn about proper touch-typing techniques and to practice and improve keyboarding skills. Your child can practice and master the keyboard one lesson at a time. It allows them to pick up where they left off in the course and displays a keyboard and a hand diagram as they type to reinforce proper finger placement. Your child will be set up with his/her own typing.com account. This is something students can practice any time, from any computer with an internet connection. From the teacher account, I will be able to monitor and review your child's progress and track important statistics like typing speed, accuracy, and time spent typing. Learning to touch type helps students be more productive and better prepares them for success in school and beyond.
I'm excited for a great year in the Library Media Center. My goal is to cultivate a love of reading, incorporate technology into our curriculum, and encourage students to be lifelong learners. Be sure to stop by and check out the new flexible seating options. We have so many new books for students to check out this fall.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
-
September 15th is International Dot day, the date that marks the anniversary of best selling author and illustrator, Peter H. Reynolds' ...
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.