In addition to teaching Library Media classes to PreK-8, I also teach a sixth grade ELA class. We just finished reading a historical fiction novel, Fever 1793.
The year is 1793, and an epidemic has struck the city of Philadelphia - Yellow Fever. Disease sweeps the streets destroying everything in its path, including everything fourteen year old, Mattie Cook, has ever known.
Sixth graders completed the following assignments, and they turned out SO great I just had to share! *Click to enlarge each writing piece.
- Imagine that you are Matilda, lying in a hospital bed at Bush Hill recovering from Yellow Fever. Write a letter to Mother from Matilda's perspective describing your situation.
- We drank tea as we did this assignment and then tea stained the papers to make them look as if they were written years ago.
- Put yourself in Mattie's shoes and write an "I Am Poem" depicting the events that quickly turned her life upside down.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.